Tuesday, October 25, 2011

{gettin' schooled}

I have had my share of homework overload and it's only Tuesday.  In fact, I am not even GOING to school.  Why is it I spend way more time on my kids' homework then I ever did on my own?  If I put even half the effort into my school work growing up, I would have attended Yale or (gasp!) a community college.  Why do you think we do this as moms?  Because I know I am not the only mom out there that does it.  As mom's we are over-achievers.  You know we are.  How many friends of yours post on Facebook "Today I washed 25 loads of laundry, made 36 loaves of bread, exercised, bathed the 2 dogs, ironed 12 dress shirts for my husband that I love more than life - all before noon."  We have seen them.  We have even BEEN them.  Why do we feel a need to be Supermom?

Believe me... I have friends that school me in this area all the time.  Anyone that knows me at all, knows how much I loathe laundry.  I do it almost every day and I am NEVER caught up.  I have threatened my family that I am going to make all of them go naked for a week just so I can catch up.  Just add that to the list of reasons my children will need therapy as adults.  And for me to bake bread?  Ha!  I am so yeast challenged.  Yeast scares me.  I can' do it.  I know this wonderful Supermom in my 'hood that bakes bread every single day.  Did you read that correctly?  EVERY DAY.  Not because she wants people to think she is amazing (we all know she is already) but because she loves to do it.  Loves to give it to people.  Yes, she is that amazing.  I have friends that say they "envy" me because I get to exercise every day.  Oh yes, friends.  It's a luxury.  HA!  If only.  I just decided within the last year that it's okay for me to put my health as a priority.  I seem to always put others needs before my own.  Don't we all do that?  But its my turn and if some people think I am selfish for it, so be it.  I'm okay with that.  My point is - and I swear I have one - why do we all have a need to compare ourselves to others?  Like my skinny friends.  It doesn't mean I don't love them.  I truly do.  I just kind of hate them too.  In the most loving way possible.

Wow... I digress.  Back to the schooling part... that was a surprise rambling. 

My littlest Diva loves to play school.  I will enjoy this as long as I can.  Right now, she loves homework.  In just a few years I will be having to take privileges away from her so she will do her homework.  She loves to pretend she is the teacher.  Tonight we were in her room.  She was the teacher and I was the student.  It made me giggle - I now know what her teacher sounds like at school.  She is very firm.  I got in trouble for texting during class.  And then she asked me to draw a number line.  A what?  I don't remember doing number lines as a child.  So I tell her I don't know how.  She says "Seriously?  You don't know how to do a number line?  I learned that a LONG time ago, Mom.  Maybe you should come to school with me.  You can learn all the stuff you don't know."  Schooled, my friends.  I got schooled by my littlest Diva. 

And with that... I have nothing left to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment